Mighty Kingdom, Australia’s largest independent game development studio, are looking for a talented full-time Narrative Designer to join us in Adelaide, South Australia! If you’re a talented writer with a passion for storytelling and feel comfortable working in the Unity game engine, we want to hear from you.
● Winner of Australia Game Developer Awards studio of the year
● A diverse team that values collaboration and creative problem solving
● Competitive salary
● Flexible work environment (flexible hours, work from home) and a CBD location
● Uncapped leave, including all statutory leave, additional personal leave, menstrual and menopause leave, and recharge leave for when you just need a break
● Employer paid parental leave including superannuation paid throughout parental leave
Working closely with the Lead Narrative Designer, you will:
● Join the narrative team in the world building, character creation and story development of Mighty Kingdom original products and established IP from around the world
● Impart narrative requirements to the team by writing briefs for artists and animators and iterate upon them collaboratively through written and verbal communication
● Write scripts for game cutscenes with a focus on pacing, developing compelling characters and narrative arcs informed by a strong understanding of the audience and market.
● Use Unity and in-house MK tools to create cutscenes, where you will direct actors, cameras, animations, SFX, particles and more
● Utilise analytics to tailor the game’s narrative design in order to create the best experience possible for our players
● Work with product owners and team members to effectively follow a brief and take/give constructive critique.
Qualifications / Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree or equivalent education in creative writing/journalism/media/game design or a relevant field
● Minimum of 2 years of professional experience as a writer
● Experience working with Unity and comfort within its environment
● Talent for writing spoken dialogue with an emphasis on clarity, brevity and character as needed
● Flexibility as a writer to work with different mediums, genres, tones and styles
● Ability to write for a variety of audiences through research and understanding of a market
● Experience with writing and dialogue editing within game tools
● A strong work ethic with a team-first attitude
● Excellent communication, decision-making and organisational skills
● Ability to learn and use in-house tools to create and implement your content
● Proficient dramatic writing skills, with knowledge or experience in writing for games or similar entertainment mediums
● Experience in other disciplines of game design and development
● Experience in understanding analytics
● Experienced on numerous shipped games as a Narrative Designer or Writer
● A strong passion for creating and playing video games
Mighty Kingdom Benefits:
● Flexible hours: With core hours of 10-4pm, employees can structure their work hours however it suits their lifestyle.
● Work from home: Whether it’s a regular day or last-minute, all employees can work from home when they need to.
● Cutting-edge leave options: Uncapped leave, including all statutory leave, additional personal leave, menstrual and menopause leave and recharge leave for when you just need a break.
● Paid parental leave: Employer paid parental leave from day 1 for every new parent or carer, including superannuation paid throughout parental leave.
● Career Development: 1on1s, discipline representative support and a broad support network create an environment for you to learn, grow and reach your career potential.
● Adelaide lifestyle: Great CBD location surrounded by some of Australia’s best restaurants and bars, and just 20 minutes drive from the beach and wine regions.
Please apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Narrative Designer” with your CV, cover letter and portfolio. Your portfolio must include written work in any medium that best showcases your dialogue writing skills. Also include any games that you’ve worked on in other roles.
Only applications that include a cover letter and are submitted via email@example.com will be reviewed.
Interviews will be conducted as applications are received.